Hey there YMMers! I read a lot of blogs, and I thought it might be fun to share with you my favorite posts. I’ll try to keep this on a regular schedule, but as always this blog is sort of “that thing I do in my spare time” so I make no promises!
In the meantime, enjoy these excellent articles from around the web. I’ll be posting material that spans a whole range of categories: freelancing, productivity, writing, arts and culture, and media tips and tricks. I’ll also add in some random “grab bag”/”potpourri” links that don’t directly relate to YouMakeMedia, but are worth looking at anyway.
Share your thoughts on my selections in the comments, or offer your own links!Â I love discovering cool new websites!
Link Roundup:Â Dawn of Time through October 21, 2011
- DSLR Video Shooter: I (finally) got my first DSLR. While I’m mainly noodling around with photography at the moment, the end goal is video. Caleb Pike, proprietor of DSLR Video Shooter, has provided an awesome resource for folks new to the DSLR video scene. His video blog series alone will keep you occupied for hours!
- This post on SEOmoz, Should I Change My URLs for SEO?, offers a great look at links and their effect on your search rankings. If you take nothing else away from this post, remember that when building websites, you need to giveÂ everythingÂ careful consideration if you want top results. Slapping together a WordPress site is easy: optimizing it and getting results is another story entirely!
- We’ve all made mistakes. Now stop beating yourself up about them.
- This post is written with freelancers in mind, but there are takeaways for anyone: 5 Easy Ways to Stay Healthy as a Freelancer.
- Leo Babauta’s ZenHabits is possibly my favorite blog right now, and this post illustrates exactly why. Leo offers excellent advice for staying energized when you’re Tired of Being Tired.
- Grab Bag: I’ve blogged my love for Disney’s One Hundred and One Dalmatians on other sites before, and loved this post by Disney animator Floyd Norman on the subject (Norman worked on Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, and other classic Disney animated films in the 50s and 60s).
- Grab Bag:Â My good friend Kevin Daly (the self-proclaimed “Theatre Aficionado”) had been pestering me for about a month to listen to the recording of the new “Matilda” musical, an adaptation of the beloved Roald Dahl story, opening next week in the West End. When I finally did, I fell in love: Tim Minchin’s music and lyrics are absolutely brilliant, and perfectly capture the spirit of the book. Kevin has blogged about the musical, and his analysis is worth a read.
Well that covers it for this edition of Link Roundup. Remember to share your thoughts, suggestions, and links in the comments!Â Thanks!